In order to remain living independently in a rental property, sometimes older tenants need minor property modifications, as recommended by a doctor or health professional.

The Tenants Union of NSW has some great information and resources on your legal rights to modify a rented property.

Generally you will require the consent of the landlord, but the landlord must not unreasonably withhold consent where the changes are of a minor nature. In most cases, the tenant will need to bear the cost of the alteration, and may remove fixtures at the end of their tenancy.

There are procedures for dealing with any disputes which arise.

Click here to find out more on the Tenant Union's website, with helpful links and fact sheets.