There are billions of dollars waiting to be claimed, so if you have changed jobs or moved house over the years you may have lost track of accounts or be missing out on money owed to you. You can now search online for lost superannuation accounts, bank accounts, lost wages, shares, life insurance policies or other money owing to you, such as from deceased estates. It costs nothing to search or lodge a claim, so this is something to check as you consolidate your finances and consider your retirement plans.
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission's Money Smart website has a handy online search resource as well as a video on how to find unclaimed money.
The Australian Taxation Office has a SuperSeeker online search for locating lost superannuation accounts. You just need your tax file number, family and given names and date of birth to do a quick online search.
These unclaimed money searches are available 24/7, comprehensive, easy and free - you can easily do them yourself. They utilise genuine government websites.
BEWARE of any scams asking for fees for conducting these type of searches, or for your bank details. There are recent reports of unsolicited phone calls and email scams where people pose as government officers saying they have money owed to you etc. See the NSW Office of State Revenue warnings on their website for examples.
Search for lost super or other money owed to you.
Most Popular News
- What you need to know about legal title in retirement villages.
- Older renters on the rise, new report shows
- Looking for a pet-friendly property?
- Searching for rental accommodation? Have a spare room available to rent?
- Video: Accessing Your Superannuation
- Co-Founders Named In Top 50 Women In Tech 2016
- What’s happened to NSW’s over 50's housing?
- How downsizing might be a way to stop unwelcome “guests” over Christmas
- Housing Decisions Of Older Australians Report
- Flatmates - tenancy agreements
- The Longevity Revolution
- Four step plan for downsizing
- Empty bedrooms in the homes of over 50s could help solve Australia’s affordable housing crisis
- Later Life Career Planning
- What is your ideal downsizing lifestyle?
Follow Seniors Housing Online:
Watch the new Downsizing Property TV show here:
Improving Service and Challenging Stereotypes
Take a quick 2 minute survey to let us know what you are searching for and how you use the internet. It is anonymous and will produce statistics to help us ensure our services are relevant and to challenge some common stereotypes about older adults not being online. Thank you for your time!